125g Plain flour
75g wholemeal flour
200g rolled oats
75g brown sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
2 bananas, mashed
2 large eggs, separated
3 tbsp. sunflower oil
250 ml milk
Add 50g currents to the mixture for a fruity muffin.
Substitute 50g of the rolled oats for 50g desiccated coconut.
Add 50g chocolate chips of your choice
for a naughty but nice breakfast muffin.
50g other dried fruit such as cranberries.
50g hazelnuts or other nuts chopped up small.
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the plain flour, wholemeal flour, oats (or oats and coconut if using) brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
2. Create a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the mashed bananas, egg yolks, milk and sunflower oil. Mix together gently with a wooden spoon until a wet batter forms but do not overmix.
3. In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form.
4. Gently fold the egg whites into the muffin batter along with the blueberries and any other additions you wish to include until everything’s mixed through evenly.
5. Divide the muffin mixture between 12 individual muffin cases and places in a preheated oven at 200C/fan 180C/Gas mark 6 for 25 minutes until its well risen and gladden brown on top.
6. The muffins will for up to 4-5 days in a sealed tin or plastic container but perferbly eaten on the day or the day after baking for a fresher muffin. the muffins can also be frozen in a zipped plastic bag, thaw for 1 hour or until defrosted then pop in the oven for 10 minutes to reheat.